Tuesday, June 25, 2013

My sister got married!

My sister got married! I have so many things to say about this, but it felt most right to just leave my toast here again for her. I meant every word-even though I cried though most of it! You were beautiful and Landon had the most beautiful vows I have ever heard (other than Daniels, who of course are first).  It was everything I ever hoped for you. I love you.


Diana,

When I think about having kids some day, I always hope they have the kind of relationship we have.
Growing up, you were always such a mama bird-mothering me in every way..which was fine because I always enjoyed being babied. I cant even begin to count how many times you covered my behind--and of course I was so rotten I always let you take the heat (although somehow I think Mom and Dad always knew the truth).
Our fights were few and far between, and ALWAYS ended when we heard mom's van pull in the driveway. We would frantically wipe each others tears asking, "Does it look like I've been crying?!" And that was that, we let it go.

I think about the godly woman you are. My earliest memories questioning Jesus always involve conversations with you. We were always, always more than just sister-our bond is tied by the Lord, and it's clear why we've been so close-it's the bond that cannot be broken.

I smile now thinking about how mom used to always say, "You will be in each others wedding, and you will DEFINITELY be each other's maid of honor!", and we would get so grumpy that whoever was our best friend at the time would have to stand second instead. 20+ years later, as much as it pains me to admit, Mom was right. And I feel so honored to have stood next to you in my wedding and yours. You really did deserve that spot in my life and I will never regret it.

I have always seen you as wonderful, funny, so smart, zealous for Jesus and missions, a bleeding heart who would do anything for anyone regardless of the cost, and an absolute beauty inside and out. And today, I can honestly say you married a man who sees the same-and I am so happy for you!!

Landon, you should know you are the only man deemed worthy of Diana. As the song "I DO" goes, "it's always been about me, myself, and I. I thought relationships were a waste of time. I never wanted to be anyone's other half-that was the only way I knew till I met you." Landon, you changed everything-in the most wonderful way. I have no clue how many hours we even obsessed over your emails/conversations with her while you guys were overseas. Diana would call and say, "He said my hiar looks good-what do you think that means?" And of course I would respond the obvious-HE'S SO INTO YOU!! And you obviously were, so I think I gave good advice.

Landon, your love for Jesus and Diana are evident and we are so happy to have you apart of our family.
Even though i am the baby, I have always taken the role of protector of Diana. Always making sure I said what she really wanted to, but was too sweet to say. Today, I am giving her to you, entrusting you will continue to protect her in every way.

Martin Luther once said, "The first love is drunken, but once the intoxication wears off, then comes the real marriage love".
This is so true. As you weather the storms of life and face the difficulties of marriage your love will become stronger, better. Even more than today, the happiest day of your life.

Remember to offer each other grace upon grace. You will both need it. You will need to remember that on days when you are tired, and frustrated, and selfish (which will probably be most days). There will certainly be difficult days, but do not worry, for God's strength and goodness is best seen in your weakness. There will also be many wonderful days-days so good you will lay your head down at night wondering why God would have so richly blessed you.
Marriage is truely the greatest example of the gospel I have known.
As you sereve on the mission field together, you will realize just how wonderfully gracious the Lord was to give you such a perfect partner in life.
The greatest adventure of your life started today-together. We pray God's blessings and grace on your marriage. We love you both.














No comments:

Post a Comment