Friday, April 5, 2013

We're moving to Alaska

We are only a few days away from picking up and moving our life for 6 months at a time-for 2 years..to Alaska.

Let me back track here for a minute.

I met my husband in highschool. I saw him, did a double take, and the rest as they say, is history. And that was the beginning of literally the biggest adventure of my life.

When we graduated college, me with a degree in I.O. psychology ready to change the world, and Daniel with a degree in electrical engineering ready to..engineer?
We got married that summer, and thankfully both had really good jobs. We were happy and so blessed-but Daniel was traveling a lot.
The nature of what he does involves him doing engineer work all around the world. Most of the time for weeks at a time. Despite that misery I feel when I am home alone, this has always afforded us the treasure of traveling the world for basically free. Our first year of marriage Daniel spend weeks in California (where I got to visit San Francisco and Yosemite to see the redwoods), Cap Cod MA (where we ate the best cupcakes, and saw the plymouth rock, and soaked up the sun on the beach with my sister in law), along with many other trips.
Last summer Daniel started running a job in Alaska-for 6 months. I was able to visit him, which was awesome and we trucked along working separately. We were genuinely happy, but we both hated being apart. The job is a three year 6 months at a time (then come home and work then back).
Fast forward a few months to the decision to hire me and allow us to travel together. My husbands dream-boss at home and at work! lol.

So I quit my job, started working with Daniel, and here we are.

We are so happy to be able to travel and work together but I keep asking why we couldn't have the Hawaii job?!? Can I get an Amen??

Being married is an adventure-the best kind.
A year ago if someone has asked me if this beach loving girl would be moving to the Arctic I would have died. Snow-negative degree weather-carhartt and steel toe boots-no malls or fancy coffee joints? um.... no.
But being with my guy, seeing the northern lights, snowmobiling in one of the top locations in the world, whitewater rafting in the national park, and dogsledding..did I mention being with my guy???Totally worth it.

It will be lots of working, a little fun, more working, and cold-so very cold, BUT we'll do it together. And that, well that's always an adventure.

-Leslie



5 comments:

  1. YOU GUYS ARE SO AWESOME! This is amazing. I can't wait to read about your adventures. Blessings on y'all. This is just too fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww. Sad you'll be gone from Virginia but you guys have the right mind set about it all! You'll be on another great adventure...together! Best of luck to you both :) Maybe Hawaii will be next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep posting! Will miss you a lot! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brett-You know I will be reading your posts and wishing I was enjoying the VA weather!! I especially love those pics of the cutest little guy!

    Catherine-Thanks! Hope you guys work camp-I know I will miss hanging out with everyone!

    Amanda-Lunch date as soon as I'm home girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummmm... I am upset I did not know this blog existed sooner (in retrospect... Les, you probs told me, and like the awesome rememberer I am... I forgot :( haha) But I am TOTES reading this as much as you post from here on out! This is GREAT, Les! Seriously... you should get paid to write these! Such enlightenment! Keeps your interest, and always ends with a zinger! Hey-O! You were made to write! Love it! And YOU! Miss you girl! Can't wait to do a little pen-paling!!

    ReplyDelete